r/atheism r/atheism

As an atheist, this is pretty funny. The voice acting is good - I love the sarcasm. Animation quality is solid too. You're really good with the facial expressions. Keep up the good work, man!

Cat Arms Cat Arms

Pretty good. It's a little more plot-driven than comedy-driven, though. Some of the dialogue was a little melodramatic, and in general it just wasn't as fleshed-out as it could have been. Animation quality is great as always, though, and I like what you did with the background music.

Sweet Boy Beach - The Gloriously Crappy Adventures of Cuthbert & Dante Sweet Boy Beach - The Gloriously Crappy Adventures of Cuthbert & Dante

The animation quality is great. The poetic dialogue was amusing, and the concept was hilarious, but the plot was really slow, especially during the first 2/3 or so of the piece. I think you could benefit from cutting down the first 2/3, but otherwise great work!

Da Best Gaem Da Best Gaem

Cute game. A little simplistic and repetitive, but it definitely uses the appeal of easy medal points and "man-I-can-definitely-do-better-than-that"-style addictive tactics to its advantage. Also, I couldn't help but crack up at the Neil Tyson image you threw in there. ;)

Drop Up Drop Up

Ok, I like this! :D Yeah, I'll agree, it's not as elaborate or creative as D-Pression, but it's a cool idea with a cyclical frustration-addiction quality. Nice work! ;)

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Thanks for the reivew, which pretty much sums up most of the game XD
While D-Pression was more of a puzzle game, this is mostly performance based :p
I did make it too difficult again though...

D-Pression D-Pression

Wow! This is amazing! :D I'm so jealous of your wide variety of talents, LSD! ;D This is a really creative, amusing, and even addicting game! I made a point of not reviewing it until I completed it, as I wanted to really evaluate it. First of all, I love the theme of depression and darkness. I had to turn all the lights off in my room in order to see the "shadow." XD I love gams that involve strategy as opposed to mindlessness, and this was a great example of that. Each level is very clever and often challenging, the whole game was very well designed, and I didn't come across any glitches! :) Nice music, too! Overall, simply an extremely entertaining experience. Huge congrats on front page/ 4k views and counting, btw! :D This truly deserves all the attention it's getting! Keep up the great work, man! ;D

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Thanks a million! You and LuncayEcho have been extremely supportive throughout my entire time here on Newgrounds, which is amazing!

I'm glad you liked the theme, as my focus is clearly on athmosphere, as well as the puzzles. I'm also impressed you managed to complete the whole game, since only about 1 in 40 have done so thus far.

Also, it's good that you liked the level design! Almost everyone has had an issue with one specific level though, hahha! I appreciate that you took the time to finish the game before reviewing too; I know you have quite the busy schedule! And I admire your talents too, as they are several. Have you ever thought about making a game yourself :D?

I'm surprised to see there haven't really been that many glitches, which means less work for me (although I'm currently woriking on the final bits of the "story", which should be added later this day).

Again, thank you TheDoor6, and have a good day! :3

Lost In A Far Away Place Lost In A Far Away Place

I like the atmosphere at the beginning. The cello sample at :15 sounds really fake, though. The uniform vibrato and timbre gave it away right off the bat. I like the guitar instrument at :40 a lot better, though - in a way, the guitar fits the character of the piece better anyway. The melodic content is beautiful here, but the progression is very slow. I was waiting for a big climax or injection of energy or something to disrupt the tranquility. Not that your piece can’t be tranquil, but it definitely needs more structural variety and shape than this. This piece has a sort of continuity that, if you’re not careful, will fail to keep your listener engaged after a while. You seem to be taking the piece in a very different direction at 2:06, but I think you needed a smoother transition there. Overall, the mixing and mastering were pretty good, but I think you could’ve made the kick a little clearer. The texture does thicken a little towards the end, giving the piece some degree of climax, although you also don’t really address the themes of the first couple of minutes very well during that climax, which gave this piece a bit of incoherence. Still, the atmosphere is killer, and you have a great sense of melody and harmony. Keep up the good work, man! ;)

7.75/10

Hide no more Hide no more

The instruments at the beginning - from the synth bass to the phasing synths - seemed a little cliche. The piece is also pretty slow to progress, but I did like the pizzicato-y riff that comes in at :16. The kick at :47 helps to give the piece more drive and intensity, but the progression is still VERY gradual. I would’ve liked to see some more melodic content earlier in the piece. The transition at 2:07 was a bit awkward, and took the piece in a very different direction very suddenly. I like the vocals - they sound very upbeat and sit well in the mix. I think you could really cut the first 2 minutes of the piece down, though. Also, the piece doesn’t have a lot of structural variety or shape, and adding some more dynamics and phrasing could really help with that. My favorite element of the piece was actually the mixing - it’s pretty clean and clear, and the texture is full and rich throughout. My one complaint there is that the pizzicato-y synth melody gets a little lost at around 2:45. Overall, it’s a pretty cool piece. My biggest problems are the cliche instruments and the pacing issues during the first half. Keep at it, man. ;)

7/10

Collision Course Collision Course

I like the atmosphere at the beginning. Has a bit of an ominous mood. The pads in the background have a bit of a harsh edge - couldn’t hurt to take off a little treble in the equalizer. I like the bass and kick that come in at 1:05 - they add a lot of tension and drive to the piece. It’s very slow to progress, but has a good sense of climax over time. I think that bass is overwhelming the kick a little - I might suggest some sidechaining, or simply stricter equalizing and compression. After the bass and kick cut out at 2:09, the piece loses its sense of direction a bit. I think you need more melodic content - or even simply more moving notes - during the first few minutes of this piece. The pace at which it changes is typically very slow, and when it does change, the transition is very sudden (e.x., 3:28). I also think the mixing is a little strained at around 3:30 and beyond. It’s hard to hear the kick. You might want to scale back the reverb a bit - that could help clean things up. The clap at 4:33 sounds a bit weak - usually claps or snares that play on the off beat in 4/4 should be the loudest instruments of the mix, and this is no exception. The hats there also sounded a bit cliche. Overall, there isn’t a lot of rhythmic variety in this piece at all. There are a lot of straight ⅛ notes between the harmonies and melody lines. I think you need some stronger melodies with more rhythmic variety and directionality. I liked the melody at 6:15, even if it was a little simple and repetitive. Couldn’t hurt to bring it out more in the mix, either. I really don’t think there’s enough material and variety here to justify the piece being over 10 minutes long. At the very least, you should use more dynamics and phrasing to give this piece a little more shape. There was another awkward transition at 7:53, and some dynamics changes or filtering leading up to it could help foreshadow the section with increased energy that follows. Overall, I think your main areas of focus should be cleaning up the mix and consolidating your ideas in the composition to speed up the pace. Keep at it, man.

5/10

Ugly Memory Ugly Memory

Cool concept. I like the vivid texture of the brains and the facial expression. Could use a bit more coloring in the person's body, but in a way I like how the only thing that's colored in is the brains too. XD Keep up the good work!

DNA DNA

Dude, I just found your page, and your art is amazing. Superb attention to detail, and you do a lot of cool thematic stuff too. This piece in particular is just haunting to me. Keep it up!

LukeF responds:

Awh man, Thank you so much! So happy you like my stuff, It really means a lot. :)

Solstice Solstice

Cool piece. I love the symmetry and texture. The color scheme creates a nice contrast between warm and cool colors. Fitting title. :) Keep up the good work, man!