View Profile TaintedLogic

62 Movie Reviews

This is awesome, Syamori! The song and the visuals alike. Sometimes the animation quality seems a tad murky, but the variety and dynamism in the shapes and textures is really nice. I like how a lot of the elements are symmetrical, while others appear to dance around the screen (notably the slats at 5:52). It also seems like some of the elements of the visuals reappear periodically, like the coffee-brown hue around the edges. You play a lot with light, too, which is a fun addition, if a tad harsh and overwhelming at times. The central visual at 7:40ish reminds me of a cootie catcher. :D Really neat work overall! Happy 2021. ^^

Syamori responds:

Thanks TL! I'm glad it resonates well with you. I've been waiting to do this for many years... I've always had an itch to find ways to show others the curious parts of the unspeakable recesses of my mind. Still, it baffles me that nobody else did something like this before I finally managed to. The next step down in terms of what's been documented publicly about synesthesia is still, well... this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obrBAysVef0

A lot of the resolution and harsh coloration issues came about because my PC could only handle rendering the video at half its intended size... and I didn't realize that until I had already made everything in 4k, so I had to do a lot of reconfiguring. Managing the composition size on my SSD was a hassle too... The final size came out to be 411 GB, though that wasn't until after filling up and emptying ~1 TB of pre-rendered and cached content from my drive at least 30 times. Because of this I often ran into situations where I had to force myself to say "This is good enough" and move on, or else get stuck on the same little details over and over again. I'll certainly know how to manage this better for future videos, though. I hope I'll be able to produce these seamlessly someday.

As a Simpsons fan, the Easter egg references to Kwik-E mart and other Simpsons world attributes were spot-on. Animation quality and voice acting are great, and the tie-ins to modern internet culture were hilarious. Really enjoyed this one overall, guys. My favorite part is when Lisa mentions that Bart is "watching from the treehouse." I also had to pause the video at Smithers' comment. Really creative and topical work, guys. ^^

Pretty funny. Pace was a little slow at times, but I like the cute animation style and facial expressions. I think #12 was my favorite - I can relate lol. Keep at it, RN! ^^

12 Game Reviews

Cute game! Thematic content is fun, and I like the music and story at the beginning. The concept is a bit simple, and the picture could be a little less pixel-y, but it also gives the animation a fun retro vibe. Keep at it, Nick et al! :)

Great game! The original made my year in 6th grade, and this game is both similar enough in format to rekindle that nostalgia while it's different enough in the strategy and mechanics required to win to keep it interesting. Nice work! Maybe I'll even go to MaxGames later to try it on impossible mode. :)

Hilarious! Music is a great touch too. Perhaps there could've been a bit more to it, but it was good for some brief entertainment. Good luck with your future projects, Angela!

3,576 Audio Reviews

Ooohh, I've missed your dark ambient tracks. The pulsing texture towards the beginning sets the scene nicely, and the airy percussion that pops in at around :35 is super nice for a more rhythmic appeal. The pacing remains a bit slow until the second half, and I thought the transition at 1:53 could've been a tad more creative. That said, the distorted percussion at 1:57 is really neat, and the more intricate rhythmic elements during the second half help keep me engaged. The composition could've used a tad more ebb-and-flow at times, but the atmosphere, rhythmic components, and production are all on point here. Keep it up, WF! ^^

I too found these article titles unnerving when I first heard you talk about them. But I think you're missing the forest for the trees here.

The central argument of the Slate article is that the media's obsession with "fact-checking" isn't going to change anyone's beliefs. Appealing to shared values, however, is more likely to do so. Zimmerman gives the example of someone who believes that "all terrorists are Muslim." Pointing out the many examples of terrorism conducted by people of other religions isn't that helpful if the person's fear of Muslims runs deeper than that. But having a conversation about the deeper issues at heart (i.e., subjective things like what makes a person feel safe, etc.) is more likely to leave the anti-Muslim person with a more open and nuanced perspective, and also help them find common ground with others who they may otherwise disagree with. And btw, Zimmerman's article is categorized as "Science" because there's credible academic research showing that this "feelings-based" method of persuasion works: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282668982_From_Gulf_to_Bridge_When_Do_Moral_Arguments_Facilitate_Political_Influence

The point is that judging the articles by their titles alone isn't really helpful. I don't appreciate Slate's use of overly-provocative clickbait as a headline either, but these articles are worthy of more thoughtful discussion than just "see how ridiculous the MSM is being".

Nevertheless, your poem was amusing.

SilverFoxJams responds:

Thanks for your honest feedback.

You certainly doubled down on the eerie mood and energetic elements here compared to the original. The intro works well for setting up the apprehensive tone of the piece, although you may have gone a tad overboard with the chopped-up vocals, and the shift in the instrumentation at :44 could've been a bit smoother. The drums definitely sound louder, but I also think they're distorting the rest of the texture a bit now. In a piece like this with a lot of attack on the guitars, I'm not sure you need a kick this heavy/prominent. The vocals sound like they're ducking in and out of the mix sometimes, though, which is probably my main concern. I like the change-of-pace in the instrumental track at 2:41 - adds a touch of variety towards the end. I'm honestly not sure this edit would've changed my score enough to justify the 5% "late tax," though. Maybe that's just me confirming my own bias against encouraging people to take the tax, but that's my opinion. :) Still, listening to this piece for a third and fourth time only reassures me that the flow in the rap is top-notch and the sound design is stellar here. It's a really captivating piece - the challenge remains how to have each of the competing elements (guitar, vocals, drums) sit well in the mix. But hey, if you're doing any more rap/metal hybrids, send me a PM! This is stuff I don't see a lot of on Newgrounds, so it's refreshing. Until then, cheers! ^_^

ProjectSoary responds:

Thank you! That's all I wanted to know. That 5% is pretty brutal. Thanks again for going the extra mile and writing this 2nd review! Much appreciated. See you in NGUAC 2022!

26 Art Reviews

Nice! I keep forgetting you make art too, CG. This is really well-designed, from her outfit to the typography. How did you make the barcode in the lower-right corner? The curve of her mouth seems a unnatural to me somehow, but maybe that was intentional. Texture in the clouds and waves is a really nice touch. Keep it up! ^^

Oh man, that's a throwback. Really nice job mimicking the original - without Googling it, I can't think of how the character as drawn on the show is substantively different in any way. The backdrop with the XJ9 poster is a nice touch too, although part of me isn't a big fan of how the poster is just a slightly different shade of the same color. Still, it's a cool image with a clean finish. Keep it up!

Cute! The lookout tower on the boat seems a bit out-of-scale, and in general I think the piece could use a bit more detail. I think the most well-articulated part of the piece is the satellite dishes on top of the ship, but otherwise some of the background details are a bit awkward. For example, the lightning bolt on the left seems to be coming from the side as opposed to out of the sky, and in the ocean there's a wave that seems to dip down beneath the boat, apparently oriented opposite the rest of them. Still, it's a charming piece. I like the coloring on the boat too with the different shades of gray. Keep at it, man!

RedeyestheSecound responds:

Thanks for the review and your right on the lightning bolt from the right side but I was trying to show the lighting was curving inward

Hi. I'm Andrew. Audio portal junkie since 2010, supporter since January 2017. I always want to improve what I do! I make music, run the NGUAC, and am active in the writing forum. I love this site, and I want to make it the best I can. :) Formerly TheDoor6

Andrew Mikula @TaintedLogic